Here’s a quick look of student “covered” activities. Anything beyond this will require an additional waiver from the natural parents, unless it’s a prohibited activity.
Should your student need one this at any point this year, please plan ahead, and let your liaison know prior to the student participating in the activity and the liaison will contact AFS USA for the waiver.
Activities covered by this Waiver include, but are not limited to:
- Passenger in a car, shuttle van or bus, in conjunction with normal program activity, including transportation to and from school, extra-curricular activities, and orientation events and enrichment activities arranged by AFS, passenger in a host family recreational vehicle (motorhome or camper);
- Outdoor Activities, such as: horseback riding, mountain biking, hiking, rappelling/rock climbing (indoor), sand boarding;
- Team and/or School Sports such as: all school sports such as American football, baseball, basketball, hockey, rugby, lacrosse, track & field, wrestling;
- Water Sports, such as: swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, water parks, water skiing/tubing;
- Winter Sports, such as: cross-country skiing, downhill skiing, sledding/tobogganing, snowboarding, snow tubing;
- Other Activities, such as: laser tag, martial arts, roller-skating, skateboarding.
Prohibited Activities for ALL students:
These activities are not covered by the Medical Plan and/or the Tall Medical Benefits and participants may not engage in them under any circumstances:
- Professional athletics;
- Driving a motorcycle;
- Scuba diving involving underwater apparatus, unless recognized certification obtained;
- Technical outdoor mountain climbing *use of equipment);
- Sky diving;
- Professional or amateur racing;
- Military training exercises (including ROTC activities);
- Piloting or serving as a crew member in any aircraft.